Heating - Cole stove - flue etc

We've moved the projects section of the website here to the forum so you can add your own stuff, which is bound to be more interesting than ours!
If you've made a modification to your Krogen 38, big or small, we'd love to hear about your ideas, successes and even failures if you're brave enough :)

Heating - Cole stove - flue etc

Postby rob » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:26 am

Elsa still has her factory fitted Cole Stainless steel stove. It needed a little t.l.c. when we first got Elsa, but now works very well indeed.
The fire-door hinge was broken and the flue baffle plate was loose, but these were soon fixed up. We have tried burning solid fuel balls, charcoal, peat and wood.
Wood is best, followed by peat and charcoal. The solid fuel balls were not very good, producing lots of ash.
We now have a supply of small logs on board (plus, currently, a couple of sacks of old garden furniture, recycled, so to speak, for marine use :lol: ).
The flue did give us some problems. With the wind over the bows (almost always when on the mooring) there was a down-draught. Quite bad in fact. Enough to fill the cabin with smoke!
As you can see from this picture, the original flue was very low indeed with its cowl just above deck level. It either needed to be higher or have some fancy cowl, maybe even an electric fan.

old-flue-.jpg
This is the original flue
old-flue-.jpg (11.28 KiB) Viewed 5603 times

My theory was if it could be high enough to be above any turbulence then we might get away without the fancy cowl.
But it could not be too high, about 14 inches or so maximum.
The 3 inch diameter stainless pipe required seems difficult to obtain and is expensive, so I was a bit reluctant to buy any as it might not work, so I set to looking for something temporary, just to try it out.
A rummage in my precious junk pile revealed some of those insulated stainless steel drinks mugs. You know the ones, stale coffee dregs and washing up water gets between the inner and outer shells and makes them unusable. For some reason I kept them (probably the shiny stainless :wink: )
Lo and behold, the outer shell was 7 inches long and the wide end was 3 inches diameter! Two of these were soon joined together to make a flue extension 13 inches long. Although intended as an experiment it turned out to work extremely well, and is very robust. It has now done a season of use in all weathers. It is a little stained with soot and wood tar but otherwise is standing up well. (I just read an article saying oxalic acid (ie Y10 stain remover) is good for cleaning stainless steel - so watch this space)

new-flue.jpg
Spot the insulated mug?

cole-stove.jpg
Cole stove
rob

Sponsor

Re: Heating - Cole stove - flue etc

Postby Ron » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:28 am

Rob, nice job on the chimney mod. Doesn't it give a good feeling when you can re-cycle stuff that otherwise would have gone into the garbage heap? I am sure Mother Earth will reward you............... :) :)

I was curious about what wood you found to be more efficient than the peats and charcoals. Would(no pun intended) these have been of the hardwood or softwood variety?

Anyway, I just wanted to say 'Have a Happy Hogmanay' and all the very best for 2008

Cheers, Ron
Ron

Postby rob » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:03 pm

Thanks Ron, yes we had a great Hogmanay :lol:
Our neighbor got himself a new set of garden furniture so the old set (mostly pine) got recycled into 5 inch lengths, ideal for the Cole stove :mrgreen: .
Hardwood is best, followed by softwood. There is a lot of timber to be collected in this area, oak branches blown off in storms are common, but all sorts can be found. We run wood burners in the house and try to keep a woodpile so it often gets raided for nice small bits to take out to Elsa. The local coal merchant delivers peat, both rough cut and compressed blocks. Both burn well in the Cole but the blocks burn longer as they are heavier. Well seasoned hardwood is best of course, being longest burning, with most heat. Our local restaurant buys oak offcuts from a sawmill for their pizza oven, they look ideal too so that is always a possibility - saw mills I mean, though the pizza is great!
Rob
rob

Postby GREYLAG » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:48 pm

Rob,
Please pardon my American ignorance, but what in the name of Prometheus are solid fuel balls? Also, have you tried coal? We have an abundance of anthrocite or hard coal here, and I have used it in heating stoves on land. I wonder how it would work in the Cole stove? I head down in eight days to survey and hopefully take possession of hull # 7. With the weather in early April on the North Alantic, knowing about heating the salon would be nice.
Fair Winds,
Mak Truscott
GREYLAG
Captain

Postby rob » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi Mak
:D Yes, well, Claire just searched on Google for solid fuel balls and found only one reference - Elsa's web site!!!
This is what I mean. ie manufactured solid fuel.

fuelballs.jpg
fuelballs.jpg (36.22 KiB) Viewed 5777 times

Ones about 1.5 inches across seem best, but make quite a bit of ash. Ordinary house coal will make too much sooty smoke so I would not use it, end up with soot all over the deck!

Anthrocite will probably be good, but take care not to over heat the stove.
Check the fitting of the door. The pivot plate at the bottom corrodes/burns and slackens off leaving a gap at the bottom making it hard to control the stove. I made a new plate and bolted it on, now it is starting to go too, but I did use mild steel plate, I need to re make it in stainless like the original, it might last a few years then, not just a few months!

Peat brickettes are very good, giving lots of heat and a great smell, but best of all is well seasoned wood, small branches ~2.5 inches in diameter and ~4-5inches long are perfect, it can get VERY hot. I have seen a heat powered fan which would be good to circulate the heat around a bit. We have some 12 v fans from Elsa's days in the Med, I keep thinking of trying one out above the stove.
Rob
ps What is hull 7's name? It would be wonderful to see some pictures of her!
rob

Postby GREYLAG » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:40 am

Rob,
I had tied to post a general hello on a chat board, but as it seems not to have gone through, I'll re introduce us. Hull # 7 was GOOSE, but we have decided to re-name her GREYLAG, after the wild geese of the Brittish Isles. Being of Scottish,Welsh and Cornish extraction, that seemed fitting. Since it is a particular type of goose, we hope to avoid any bad luck associated with renaming. She was just about finished with a re-fit when we made an offer on her, and I will try to send some pics of her as soon as I can. Our crew consists of myself, my wife Alice ou younger son George, and our cat Duchess. Our older son, William, is a cadet at Virginia Military Institute and will be joining us as the extingencies of the service permit.

As regards fuel, I will ty to scavenge small branches as per your suggestion, a feat not too difficult hee in the States. I shall be sailing north using the InterCoastal Waterway, and will have ample chance to find fuel ahead of the need. Hope not to need heat before North 35, but you never know here. Currently in Albany New York, we have 5 inches of snow and a temperature in the lower 20s farenheit. We can expect cold anywhere north of Cape Hatteras North Carolina. By the way, peat is unfortunately unobtainable here, and there is a phobia against using charcoal bricketts for indoor heat. Carbon monoxide is sited as the reason, though it shouldn't make a difference in a stove. I expect I can make do with wood for the first trip.
Fair Winds,
Mark Truscott
GREYLAG
Captain

Postby claire » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:54 pm

I think wood is best for sure. It's less messy to have around .... well, maybe not less messy, but I definitely prefer wood detritus to coal/charcoal dust; It's easier to light, smells nicer, produces less & more pleasant ash .... what else - Oh, it's additional floatation if the boat sinks :P

Could you try posting in the boats and locations forum again and let me know if there's a problem? If so I'll get onto sorting it out. Thanks :)
claire

Postby Inamorata » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:40 pm

We recently replaced our Cole stove with a propane stove. Our Cole never did work properly because we had the newer style, which did not have an ash drawer in the bottom. Almost every time we used it our boat would fill with smoke because we could never get the proper draft necessary to burn properly.

Propane wasn't our first choice in fuel, but for our use it should work out fine. We would have much preferred a diesel stove, but there is not enough space in the current location to install one and we didn't want to re-locate the stove.

If anybody needs parts for their Cole, I discovered that the last manufacturer of the stove still has some parts available, even though the stoves are no longer made. Their website is http://www.ballardsheetmetal.com. I was in touch with the president, Dave Simpson, and he is quite willing to help. Their number is 206-784-0545.
Inamorata
Able seaman

How hot is the Cole Stove?

Postby rob » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:18 pm

Ever wondered how hot the stove is getting?
We now have a Thermo Catometer on board. The position of the furry marker on the centerboard housing indicates temperature. :lol:

thermocat01.jpg
Not warm enough yet...

thermocat02.jpg
Just right!
rob

Postby GREYLAG » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Rob,
Enjoyed the cheety pictures. By the by, have you found it necessary to re-jigger the chimney flue? With your new enclosure, I wondered if the draught would be effected. I have recently replaced the original charlie noble with an H cap (looks more like a bloody A to me), and now have very good draught in all conditions. Really love the stove enclosure, especially the warming shelf on the bottom!

We are in South Carolina at present, and hope to make Charleston for Thanksgiving. This is a barbaric American holiday involving the ingestion of copious quantities of Turkey, dressing and pumpkin pie, all to celebrate the colonists first year in the new world, and to impress the natives with our superiority. Hope all is well across the pond,
Fair Winds as ever,
Mark
GREYLAG
Captain

Postby rob » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:33 am

Hi Mark
Yes we need to do something about the flue again. In high winds it is now blowing back a lot more than before. We have been looking at the Dickinson H Cap
http://www.kuranda.co.uk/chandlery/3inch-flue-parts/h-cap-3.html
They also do one looking like an A called the Clover Leaf.
http://www.kuranda.co.uk/chandlery/3inch-flue-parts/clover-leaf-cap-3.html
Which one do you have? And the big question - does it work?
We will also need to put an extension on to make it a high as possible with no restrictions. The Cole stove is also showing it age and a new Dickinson solid fuel should just fit straight in but the diesel version does seem like a more convenient idea. But I guess we will get the flue sorted first :)
rob

Postby Inamorata » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:29 pm

I can vouch for the Dickinson propane heater. We wanted diesel but it requires a rise of 3ft before any bends in the pipe. That's not possible with the current stove location. Force 10, who now make the Dickinson, recommended the propane stove and it is very good. A perfect fit and no worries about back draft.
Inamorata
Able seaman

Postby GREYLAG » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:57 pm

Rob,
Yes , well we have what Dickenson calls an H-Cap, though it looks more like a decapitated A to me. Despite the phenomenal problems we had with the first cap, the addition of the H-cap has solved all our problems with smoke and back draft. Rather a good thing too, since it appears that global warming is a myth, at least here in Florida. We made St Augustine on 11 Dec. wearing long underwear, flannel lined trousers, flannel shirts, fair Isle jumpers and Pea coats. Gloves too. So much for the So-called "Sunshine State". The new cap is letting us stay warm and we use the stove daily. We are burning oak pallet material cut to 5" pieces and it does the trick. The only problem with the cap is that it does let a small amount of creosote drip onto the deck. However we have found that dish detergent or in the worse case mineral spirits cleans it right away.

We plan to spend Christmas in St. Augustine, and New Years (Hogmaney?) farther south. We can roast a goose in the Hillerange oven, but a suckling pig is a bit large, so we settle for a ham. No Haggis to be had here, so one improvises.

Wishing you and Claire a most Happy Christmas and Prosperous New year,

Fair Winds,
Capt. Mark Truscott
GREYLAG
Captain

Postby Seaventure » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:40 pm

Not trying to hijack the thread but just wanted to say that right now we heavily envy those of you who have the heating stove....we have a book shelf setup in its place. Here we are in Vero Beach and it's DARN chilly (probably a brisk Spring day in Scotland though :)). Our heating is a single kerosene light along with the Hillerange stove and many blankets.

One of the coldest weeks we ever spent was Xmas in St. Augustine some years ago on our previous boat...it was in the 20's almost every night.

At least here in Vero it's only been in the 40's at night...cats are definitely all over us at night. Staying thru New Years here before heading back to Satellite Beach.

Happy New Year to everyone!
Christal & Burt
Seaventure
Rear Admiral

Postby GREYLAG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:32 pm

4 Jan 2010
Seaventure,
Are you still in Vero Beach? We made V.B. City Marina Yesterday afternoon. Mooring #8. If you are in the area give us a call (804) 832 5659.
Mark
GREYLAG
Captain

Postby Inamorata » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:08 pm

It's bloody cold here in Beaufort SC. Our little Dickinson propane stove kept us warm last night when the temperatures were down around 40F/4C. But tonight it's going down into the 20's so we pulled into a marina. Even colder predictions for the next few nights will have the anchor remaining in the roller for a while. Anybody still need proof about climate change?
Inamorata
Able seaman

Postby Seaventure » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Greylag - Sorry we missed you in VB. We decided to leave on Jan.2 and bucked the NW 25 knot winds and chilly temperatures all the way home. The weather looked like it was going to be colder each night and we decided to deal with the winds on the nose to come home. Burt had to finally put on his wetsuit to deal with the weather. You all with that full dodger setup had us envious once again!!!! We had so many layers of clothes on coming home that day we could barely move.

On the way home we passed an anchored krogen below the Melbourne causeway, was that you Greylag? We didn't hail on the radio as we were so focused on home, home, home and we were darn close at that point.

Just mentioning that anyone passing thru the Melbourne area is welcome to come visit and stay at our dock (water/electricity/washing machine/etc). The turn to get to us is by Dragon Point/Eau Gallie causeway.
Christal & Burt
Seaventure
Rear Admiral

Return to Projects - modifications, upgrades and repairs